Monday, January 11, 2010

My Thoughts: Tommy Tubberville hired as Texas Tech coach


As I sit here and watch Tommy Tubberville on ESPN first take, I decided to go ahead and share my thoughts on the new Texas Tech Coach. Of course my last post was on the saga that has been Mike Leach. Since then, our team pulled together to reject the media pressure and win the Alamo Bowl. I won't lie, I was hoping after that performance we would see Ruffin get the head coaching job. I knew it was too good to be true, as Tech decided to go with a more CEO coach than a player's coach. Overall, I think Tubbs is a good look. He brings in experience from the hardest conference in the nation: the SEC (sorry Big 12 brethren..). I said before the Leach firing that Leach's ability to master the spread in the Big 12 lead to many copycats in the conference. The result is a offense driven conference that gets stomped by the SEC in bowl games. Tubbs already stated we wants to take us to the next level, and I think defense and a solid running game are the ways to do it. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the high-scoring yard-munching offense we've had over the years, but I'm ready to hit somebody in the mouth! I hope Tubbervile can find a place for Ruffin on his staff, as he will be able to retain some of the big name defensive recruits he's been chasing. The other good thing Tubberville said in his press conference was he wants to get the fanbase back on the same page as the program. I think this is very important, especially with the polarity of the Leach situation. I would like to take that a little further and say the fans can still dictate the image of this program. One thing I loved about the Leach era was his the desire to dethrone the big boys with wreckless abandon (pun inteded). I think we need to have that same desire moving forward. If we can stay just as rowdy, our homefield advantage will double with a great defense. So I'm down to ride with Tubberville, but its still up to Raider Nation to let everyone know we're still hungry for success at the highest level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …